We are reducing the activity undertaken at the Training Centre in response to the COVID-19 situation. We are starting a responsible process of social distancing to reduce group interaction. We must all act not only to safeguard ourselves, but to ensure we are not responsible for the spread of the virus.
From Monday 23rd March until Friday 17th April 2020 the following is in operation:
1. Derwent Training remains open and staff remain in work. However, all work will now be carried out remotely and no members of staff will be at the Training Centre.
2. Lessons not will take place at the Training Centre, so learners should not travel to the Training Centre as they will not be allowed in.
3. All onsite visits to employers stop for the time being. We are halting all non-essential travel and maintaining greater social distancing. It is important to reduce everyone's exposure to other people as much as we can.
4. We are increasing further our activity online to do the following
4a. Continue to carry out tripartite progress reviews
4b. Undertake either 1-2-1 tutorials with apprentices or hold small group lessons via Zoom. Using Zoom rather than Microsoft Teams allows apprentices to use their own personal email address whilst staff use their Derwent Training address. We will be forwarding instructions for both you and your apprentices by close of play tomorrow.
4c. When setting work for apprentices we are being specific about what is required and providing a deadline. This is essential to help apprentices (and employers) remain focused. So we are being clear about what aspect of the competence/NVQ or knowledge aspect apprentices are expected to complete. Some apprentices may find that work onsite slows or indeed they may be sent home. Having specific work to undertake will help them not only make progress, but feel and remain contacted, in a difficult time. Having something to focus on will assist also with everyones mental health.
4d. Sending handouts and assignments electronically to apprentices and supporting these by Zoom meetings.
4e. Receive submitted work for assessment from apprentices that will be marked by the receiving trainer. We ask that when an apprentice submits work they send it to the designated trainer and CC: Info@derwenttraining.co.uk. This latter email address will allow us to centrally monitor submissions and help us all keep on top of the progress of apprentices.
5. Trainers are creating a schedule of activity showing when you will be contacting your apprentices. Gary Simm is collecting these so we can monitor progress but fundamentally ensure we are supporting all apprentices. We recognise progress may slow, so does the Government, but they are supportive and stress that work should continue wherever possible.
In other news, we are proud of those companies who have been able to respond to the Government's urgent request for help in manufacturing components for ventilators. If anyone else thinks they can help, please go to our Twitter, Facebook or Linkedin feed.
We are also proud of Stuart, one of our Trainers, who has been seconded to Scarborough Hospital's Estates Team to help them bring back into operation wards that had previously been sidelined, in order to deal with the Coronavirus outbreak. Gary Simm is overseeing Stuart's caseload and liaising with Stuart to ensure his apprentices are kept on track.
6. All apprenticeships are continuing. Therefore, employers should ensure that they continue to allow apprentices time off-the-job to continue to study. Ideally this should be done in their workplace rather than at home. It may involve time in the office to complete write ups and assessments or study for the English, Maths and ICT components. However, we appreciate that company's will take appropriate steps too, to safeguard the workforce. Please keep us informed if and when your pattern of work changes.
7. All staff’s work emails are on the website to ensure learners can contact their Trainer and send in work for marking.
8. Some staff may be directed by the Government to self-isolate as a precautionary measure. They will continue to work remotely sending and receiving work to assess.
9. We will continue to monitor the changing environment and act responsibly.
For general enquiries please contact the Business Support Team on firstname.lastname@example.org and they can direct your email to the appropriate person.